Monday, November 13, 2006

Diversify Your Skills Improves Your Value

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

Charles Darwin

One of the most important things I learned in my life is not to put all my eggs in one basket.

I am talking about skill and learning. Having a lot of interest in different domains and matters sure it helped me.

My interdisciplinary competencies always allowed me to deal with complex tasks and as a consequence I was well paid.

What I often noticed is the lack of interaction not only among the professionals in career terms, but also in generally, among people, in life terms.

This is especially true when people are talking about and discuss a hard subject.

Everyone is an expert in something but one is in troubles when has to communicate with others.

It seem a special kind of post-industrial new "Tower of Babel" where anyone is able to talk to anyone else.

I personally think is very important for everyone to know how to see the big picture.

Our formal education is obsessed by the idea of specialization and fragmentation.

The result is that the individual general knowledge is too fragmented and to divided

Of course I disagree every time somebody would persuade anyone else that his/her only need is specialization.

Certainly people need to make a career choice when sorting from college, but it is also important to not forget that every human being is a whole.

Similarly during a self-learning process one need sometimes to understand relations between different techniques, methods or concepts, so one need to see the big picture.

If you diversify and enlarge your skills and points of view, you will also earn value and you can ask a higher remuneration.

No comments: