Saturday, October 14, 2006

Intellectual Humility As A Precious Tool

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle."”

Albert Einstein

I partially agree with the Critical Thinking Community definition of "Intellectual humility".

I agree only on this: ". It (Intellectual humility) implies the lack of intellectual pretentiousness, boastfulness, or conceit... " And on this: ". It does not imply spinelessness or submissiveness."

I disagree instead on the concept that intellectual humility necessarily should be defined as: "...Having a consciousness of the limits of one's knowledge, including a sensitivity to circumstances in which one's native egocentrism is likely to function self-deceptively;"

I am sorry but I have to contradict them.

I prefer to point out the individual potential and creativity rather than the consciousness of oneself limits.

I have ever tried to look at the big picture in a positive manner, and all the time I was right.

On my opinion Intellectual humility is a sign of maturity and shows that one is at ease with oneself and respect the needs of others.

In pursuit of happiness, humble people respect their own abilities and value their accomplishments.

There is nothing wrong with self-reliant individualism and the single search for happiness and success.

Some people prefer to work alone. Others find value in working together.

The most important thing is to respect both oneself and other people's capabilities, while remaining aware of human nature, which is not perfect.

I think everybody of us is trying to do one's best in this life.

Why I am talking about intellectual humility and self-learning method?

Because I am convinced that intellectual humility is a virtue, not enough (or not at all) considered in modern cultures.

If you are building and constantly following your own self-improvement method and in the same time you stay intellectually humble, your consciousness will increase and also other peoples will appreciate you.

Intellectual humility is itself a value and a precious instrument in your self-improvement arsenal.

No comments: